I've had a NetLibrary account for a few years. I found it particularly helpful as a distance learner when I was able to access ebooks remotely rather than travel to Philadelphia for them. It was a critical part of my research for several courses in library school. I also used it several times for guidance on general topics like writing resumes and recommendation letters. Ebooks are great for extending resources to customers who can't get to the library for whatever reason.
Having said that, I'm not super-wild about the interface. Paging through an ebook by clicking "Previous" or "Next" is not as gratifying as holding the book in your hands. I recently discovered this when I found that the only travel guidebook in our library system for Honduras is an ebook. I'm glad we have the ebook, and I'll print off the pages I need for sure, but it's no substitute for a paper copy.
As for WorldCat, I use it a lot doing reference work for customers requesting books that we do not own. What I always wonder though, is which libraries participate? I wish there was a way to know. It's great how they're continually adding features, like lists, building bibliography, and some type of Facebook interaction (although I didn't check that out). WorldCat rocks. My job is immensely easier because of it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment