This is the most exciting part of the challenge for me so far. A while ago I subscribed to a few blogs using Google Reader, but I didn't check it often enough. Then I'd log in and see so many unread posts that I'd feel overwhelmed. For me, the secret with any new technology is using it often enough that I incorporate it into my daily (or weekly) routine. RSS feeds aren't a part of that equation for me yet, but I hope they will be if I use my Bloglines account as frequently as I hope to.
So, I've set up my initial 10 feeds, including the OCL Webthings blog, the events calendar for my branch, and Unshelved (I've always loved that comic strip). I've also subscribed to a few additional blogs and news sites, plus a work-related eBay search. I like the idea of information coming to me, rather than me searching for it. I can also see the potential benefits of RSS feeds being used by a reference team, particularly for questions that are asked often, such as:
have there been any updates to the Yankees broadcast schedule?
when can I place a hold on XYZ new book/movie? (catalog feeds)
what interesting programs are being offered at libraries/museums/schools in my areas? (for programming ideas)
and more...
For library customers, there are huge benefits for making content available through RSS feeds on the library's website--programs, materials, new web guides, tutorials--all of this and more could be automated based on a customer's specified preferences and subscriptions.
Personally, I have used RSS feeds for a few saved eBay searches and one or two blogs, but I find email notification more efficient. That's just a matter of my internet searching habits though. I'm more likely to check email than I am to check a news reader/aggregator. Or at least I was in the past...we'll see if that continues.
No comments:
Post a Comment