Friday, May 2, 2008

Thing 14 - Technorati Strikes Again

The first time I used Technorati, I found the interface frustrating, and that trend continues with this experience. Plus, I did something wrong initially. I used quotes in my Technorati keyword search for “Learning 2.0” and I received no hits for tags, posts, or blogs with that precise phrase. I thought that was interesting. Anyway, I figured it out and finally found some interesting sites searching without the quotes:

In the recent posts, Somewhatfrank blogged about a website called
Forvo which offers pronunciation guidance by leveraging "wisdom of the crowds to collect and offer audio pronunciations of words."

As for blogs, I was interested in David Warlick's 2cents worth blog. He mentioned a wiki that organizes web 2.0 in a very organized way (of course it's done by librarians). It's called Web Tools 4 U to Use. Looks promising.

None of the rising tags, posts, or stories really surprised me. Most of it seemed to be related to politics, popular culture, and/or technology. Overall though, in browsing the technology related blogs, I felt overwhelmed and behind the times. The terminology is unfamiliar and it assumes a basic understanding of long-used tools that I don't have. Not that I'm not interested...I'm just an "inchy-pincher" as my family likes to say. I creep into the water slowly. Same goes for Technorati and technology.

In keeping with my preference for anonymity, I probably won't be claiming my blog either.

No comments: