Read two or three of the perspectives on Library 2.0 from the list above.
Create a blog post about your thoughts on any one of these? Library 2.0 -
It's many things to many people. What does it mean to you?
Although there were elements from several perspectives posted on "Where will the next generation Web take libraries?" that I appreciated, the one I most related with was by Michael Stephens. I whole-heartedly support the movement among libraries to engage more directly with users, in both the planning phase and by responding to emerging technologies and services. I also like the idea of using more Web 2.0 tools in our regular work practices, although I have to admit that some of the specific tools Stephens mentioned were unfamiliar to me. Stephens' emphasis on user-driven content creation and good/fast decision-making were particularly relevant to larger libraries that sometimes take a while to make change.
I also liked this quote:
It's not a bad thing to talk about our failures as well as our successes. I guess Library 2.0 to me is mostly about the willingness to embrace change (whether it's technology or concepts), coupled with taking action to achieve that change."Librarian 2.0 also listens to staff and users when planning, tells the stories
of successes and failures, learns from both, celebrates those successes, allows
staff time to play and learn, and never stops dreaming about the best library
services."
No comments:
Post a Comment